Pages

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Illustration

ILLUSTRATION


As well as styling/ fashion photography/ general creative directing - I will always love illustration. Predominantly fashion related, but I don't like to limit myself too much as I feel fine art in general is an area in which you can pretty much run riot, and just enjoy art for what it is - allowing it to be interpreted as you wish. Here are a few drawings / illustrations I have done in the past, either for projects or just in my spare time. 


 Illustration Of Cara Delevinge I did using a bamboo tablet - I really need to start using it more! Great piece of equipment, going to start using illustrator more I think.


Intepretation of an Ilustration by Cedric Rivrain. I love his use of chalk and textured papers, so I used regular card and sponged a light blue textured background. I also used watercolour pencils and biro.


An Illustration I did as part of the Visual Communications rotation. I created a small zine based on an article I read on male models posing as female models and the use of androgyny within high fashion. It was a fascinating story and I looked particularly at Andrej Pejic... ISN'T HE STUNNING!?  This was done in biro on part coloured card, part watercolour wash.


Here is a study I did based on an illustration by Hannah Muller, aka 'Myltan'. I love all of her work and her use of mixed media. This illustration was originally of the beautiful Swedish model Frida Gustavsson. I hope I did them both justice! This was done using pencil and watercolours.


 Here are a couple of illustrations I produced as part of a drawing workshop. We were asked to bring in objects that were 'creepy' so I brought in an ornament I have had in my living room for years. I have no idea where it came from, but it has always scared me a little. The general vibe was to create something quick with a haunting feel. For these two I used a stick and ink technique where I held the stick only by the very end. It was difficult but the results are pretty amazing.


 This is a piece of acetate In which I etched a copy of Izzy Jarvis' 'Return of the Rat' - which was initially a relief print. I really enjoyed doing this etching and I feel the use of horizontal lines as appose to the curved ones I would usually use worked really well!

My interpretation of a Kelly Smith illustration. Likewise to Rivrain's work, she uses a delicate approach to materials but with a very photo realistic outcome. I also love her use of watercolours, its very subtle but effective. 


I had a lot of fun producing this Marion Bolognesi study. Looking at her piece 'Remember' I immediately fell in love with her work and the way in which she uses watercolours in a varitety of techniques to create beautiful illustrations.


This drawing took me a good 20 hours or so in total. It was part of my development work at A Level in which I produced a fashion illustration for Vivienne Westwood's new clothing line looking at 'Punk Revisited.' (Made up brief). Nancy Spungen and Sid Vicious being one of Punks most iconic couple's at the time, it felt completely necessary to produce this pencil study. Very time consuming, but alright results I think!

For the same project, I produced this illustration of Vivienne Westwood herself, interpreting one of her most famous images. It began as a pencil study, but then I decided to watercolour in her clothing, initially out of impatience, but I'm glad I did!


This painting was produced whilst looking at Rankin's annroy exhibition. At the time I was doing a project on the NSPCC, and looking at emotive images to develop my ideas. This was done using watercolours and acrylics.



No comments:

Post a Comment